Side Bar

Hinshaw Music, Inc.
PO Box 470
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Phone: (919) 933-1691
Fax: (919) 967-3399

or for rentals

Copyright © 1998, 2004
Hinshaw Music, Inc.

Click Here For Advanced Search

In general, we try to facilitate the authorized performance and use of music from the Hinshaw catalogue. If you ever have a performance or licensing question please do not hesitate to call, fax or write us about it:

Hinshaw Music, Inc.
Post Office Box 470
Chapel Hill, N.C. 27514-0470
Phone: 919-933-1691
Fax: 919-967-3399
Orders: 800-568-7805

License Menu

Here is some basic information about the following:

Permissions and Licenses - Performances

We are a member of ASCAP which serves as our non-exclusive agent for issuing performance licenses and collecting fees for performances of our music. We are also members of performing rights organizations BMI and SESAC, through our respective subsidiaries, Hindon Publications and Chapel Hill Music. Outside the United States, performance licenses may be obtained from the performing rights society located in the country where the performance is to occur, such as PRS in England.

We also license performances directly through a very simple process. It is best to call us with a performance license request.

There are certain limited exceptions where a performance license is not necessary. An excellent review of these exceptions (for the United States only) is found in an article by David Farneth entitled "Performing Rights" at A Guide To Copyright For The Music Librarian. If you have any question as to whether you need a performance license for a Hinshaw title, please contact us.

Return to License Menu

Permissions and Licenses - Mechanical Licenses

A Mechanical License authorizes the manufacture and distribution of records, compact discs and cassette tapes for a specific copyrighted musical composition.

Hinshaw Music issues numerous mechanical licenses each year. In order to request a mechanical license directly from Hinshaw Music, please contact us and provide us with the following information:

  • The title of the composition(s) that you wish to record, including the writer and/or arranger of the composition.
  • The name, address, phone and fax numbers of the Licensee. The Licensee can be a record label, a group such as a church, or even an individual.
  • The name(s) of the performing artist and/or group recorded.
  • The playing time of the recording in minutes and seconds.
  • The form(s) in which the album will be released, such as compact discs and cassettes, and the initial number of compact discs and/or cassettes that will be manufactured.

Hinshaw Music is also represented by the Harry Fox Agency, which issues mechanical licenses and collects fees on behalf of many music publishers. The "FAQ" section of the HFA website provides useful information about the licensing process. It is your choice whether to seek a license from Hinshaw Music directly or to go through Harry Fox.

Return to License Menu

Permissions and Licenses - Synchronization Licenses

A Synchronization License authorizes the use of a specific copyrighted musical composition in combination with visual images such as in motion pictures, television programs, videos and computer programs.

Hinshaw Music also issues many synchronization licenses each year. In order to request a synchronization license directly from Hinshaw Music, please contact us.

The Harry Fox Agency also represents Hinshaw Music for synchronization licenses. Once again, it is your choice whether to seek a license from us or from Harry Fox.

Return to License Menu

Permissions and Licenses - Reprints

As a general principle, it is unlawful under the Federal Copyright Act to photocopy or reproduce by any means, electronic or otherwise, our copyrighted publications without our express permission. Unauthorized photocopying hinders the creation and distribution of choral music.

If you need copies of a particular title, please contact us. We usually ship orders the same day they are placed, and we can handle special shipping requirements such as next-day air.

Under certain limited circumstances, we do issue reprint licenses which specifically authorize the photocopying of a specific number of copies of a given work. We can provide you with written guidelines upon request. Please call us and ask for the permissions department.

We will require a special notice to be placed on all copies made indicating that the photocopies have been authorized by us.

Please contact us with any reprint request and provide us with the following information:

  • Title of text and/or tune
  • Name of Composer and/or/Author
  • Specific use

We are a member publisher of and

Return to License Menu